This is the great new find this year for our Christmas Cookies. I love how festive they look and they taste wonderful! They are gluten free in addition to low carb – so they can become a staple in many households. Although they are Christmas Cookies, if you just changed the sprinkles, they could be for any holiday. Also, I am NOT a licorice fan – so I made mine with vanilla instead of anise. Feel free to switch back to the traditional anise if you like licorice. Hope you give these a try!
Italian Christmas Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Swerve, Granular Sweetener
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (or anise if you prefer)
- 1/4 cup Swerve Confectioners Sweetener
- 2 Tablespoons half and half
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Holiday Sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, salt, and xanthan gum.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter with the Swerve granular sweetener until well combined. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract
- Then beat in the almond flour mixture adding 1/2 cup at a time until the mixture comes together and forms dough.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and place 1 inch apart on the parchment paper. You will get about 20 – 24 balls. Press down with the palm of your hand on each dough ball until they are about 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake about 12 minutes, until just barely beginning to firm up. Remove and let cool on the pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the Swerve confectioners sweetener, half and half, and vanilla extract. Dip the top of the cookies into the glaze and set back on the pan. Sprinkle as desired.
Nutritional Information: 1 single cookie is 7 carbs without sprinkles. With sprinkles they are 9 carbs each