I found this recipe a while back and finally got around to trying them. Everyone loved them and what was even better was being able to tell Ellen they were ZERO carbs. These little gems work for Ellen and her lower carb life, but they are also gluten free, paleo and Whole 30. So, they would make many of you out there love this simple pick up snack. We made them for lunch during the UL/Duke game and they were perfect for eating sitting around while watching the game. We will definitely make them again and may even make some ahead to freeze for an easy after school snack.
Chicken and Zucchini Poppers
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 cups grated zucchini (leave peel on)
- 2 – 3 green onions, sliced
- 3 – 4 Tablespoons parsley or cilantro, minced (you may choose which additional flavor you would like to add. I chose parsley)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- olive oil for cooking (or coconut or avocado oil)
- Grate the zucchini and place into a bowl. Do not dry out any of the natural water from the zucchini.
- Toss with the green onions, parsley or cilantro, garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Add in the ground chicken and mix well. Mixture will be quite wet in touch and appearance.
- Make into poppers or meatballs.
- Drizzle a bit of olive oil on a baking sheet.
- Place the meatballs onto the prepared baking sheet and drizzle a bit of additional olive oil over top of the meatballs.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 – 25 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Place under a broiler for an additional 2 – 3 minutes or until browned on top.
- Serve with guacamole, salsa, ranch, or your favorite dip.
Nutritional Information: Poppers are 0 carbs. You would have to add in any carbs from dipping sauce of your choice. We used salsa so that it stayed at 0 carbs.
I love the smell of BBQ chicken on the grill! Plus my favorite part of the BBQ chicken are the little pieces that get crispy. So, if you cut your chicken into small pieces to cook you should get a lot of the crispiness. This recipe lets you marinate the chicken about an hour before cooking, which also gives the chicken a great flavor and tenderness. I have found a new staple in our summer menus.
BBQ Chicken Skewers
- 6 – 8 Chicken thighs, cubed
- 1/3 cup of Sugar Free Honey
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup Porter or Stout beer
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- BBQ sauce of choice. I use Mark’s Feed Store Red Sauce which is a local company and only 7 g carbs a serving.
- Bamboo Skewers
- In a small bowl whisk together honey, porter, soy sauce, mustard and garlic powder.
- Place cubed chicken thighs in a dish and pour the marinade over top. Cover, refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
- Soak the bamboo skewers for at least 30 minutes in water before preparing.
- Once they have soaked 30 minutes – 1 hour, pull chicken cubes out of the marinade and place on the skewers.
- Spray the completed skewers on both slides lightly with cooking spray.
- Preheat the grill to medium high and prepare grates.
- Brush the chicken with the BBQ sauce and place on the grill. Turn every 2 – 4 minutes and brush with more BBQ each time until cooked through.
Nutritional Information – 1 skewer is about 5 g carbs (based on our BBQ sauce and marinade)
We love pasta but as everyone knows it is not a carb friendly meal. What I have found works best is to make Italian meals with pasta as a portion or side with the meal. It gives you the chance to enjoy pasta and still keep the portions controlled. Plus if you can select a better pasta, like Ronzoni Pasta which will help out with blood sugar spikes. So, give this Chicken Marsala a try!
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 3/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 8 skinless breast tenderloins
- 8 oz baby portabella mushrooms
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup marsala wine
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons white wine
- 2 teaspoons Splenda brown sugar blend
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon corn starch
- Slice the mushrooms into 1/2 inch thick pieces.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the eggs and half and half.
- In another shallow bowl place the breadcrumbs
- Dredge the chicken in the egg mixture and then the breadcrumbs.
- In a skillet over medium high heat, melt the butter and oil. Add the garlic and brown the chicken. You do not have to cook the chicken through – just brown them.
- Remove the chicken and add the mushrooms.
- Saute the mushrooms till skillet is starting to get dry.
- Add the marsala wine, 1/2 cup white wine and brown sugar to the mushrooms. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Place the chicken back in the skillet, cover and simmer on med low for about 30 minutes.
- In a small dish, combine cornstarch and 2 Tablespoons of white wine.
- Remove the chicken tenderloins to a serving dish, then add the cornstarch mixture to the skillet. Turn the heat up and thicken the sauce. Once it is to your thickness pour over the chicken.
- Serve over small portion of pasta.
Nutritional Information: 1 serving (2 tenderloins) without pasta – 10 g carbs
This is a great summer recipe for chicken and fresh zucchini. It changes things up a little and looks very impressive, while not the difficult. Plus I usually make extra zucchini filling and place it out as an appetizer with tortilla chips. Enjoy!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 – 2 medium zucchini, shredded. Need at least 1 1/2 cups for the chicken portion.
- 2 Tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- 3/4 cup finely shredded mozzarella cheese (increase if you make extra filling)
- 8 thin cut chicken breast cutlets
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and dry the cutlets and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and prepare baking dish with non-stick spray.
- In a large skillet heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil on medium-high heat.
- When hot, saute the garlic for about 1 minute or until golden. Add zucchini and romano cheese and cook for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and when it has cooled some add the mozzarella cheese and mix together.
- Lay the chicken cutlets down on a surface and spread 3 Tablespoons of zucchini mixture over the cutlet.
- Loosely roll each one and place with seam side down.
- Place breadcrumbs in one bowl and lemon juice in 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a second one.
- Dip the chicken in the lemon-oil mix and then in the breadcrumbs.
- Place in the prepared pan with the seam side down.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes and serve immediately
Nutritional Information: Serving size is 2 chicken rollatini for 10 g carbs
We love Asian food and have our favorite places to go out to eat. However, sometimes it is much easier on the carb counting to prepare it yourself and control the rice portions. So we have also found a few favorite recipes to make at home and Bourbon Chicken is one that I found and just slightly adjusted to fit our tastes and needs. We love this served over jasmine rice with stir fried green beans on the side.
- 1 1/2 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 2 Tablespoons cup sesame oil
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 -6 of green onions cut into pieces
- In a bowl combine soy sauce, oils, vinegar, bourbon, and brown sugar blend. Whisk well.
- Add ginger and garlic and whisk again.
- Cut the chicken thighs into bite size pieces.
- Place chicken pieces in a prepared 9×13 baking dish.
- Pour sauce over the chicken and throw in 1/2 of the green onions
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. You can do this the night before and marinate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Remove chicken from the refrigerator while the oven preheats.
- Uncover the chicken and bake directly in the marinade for 45 minutes.
- After 20 minutes pull the chicken out and flip the pieces over and baste. Continue baking to complete the 45 minute cooking time.
- Set the oven to broil and cook an additional 5 – 10 minutes. You are simply adding a crispy finish to the chicken.
- Serve over rice of your choice (I use jasmine) and sprinkle remaining green onions evenly over the plates.
Nutritional Information – 0 carbs in the marinade and chicken. Simply add carbs for the serving of rice you choose. For jasmine rice – 3/4 cup prepared rice is 36 g carbs.
Pizza is a favorite for teens and many adults, but the crust does not always make them low carb. Now this does not mean we don’t still get pizza – in fact we have our favorite pizza places. Thin crusts help a lot and local, non-chain pizza restaurants tend to add less sugar to their crusts. We have always loved some different pizzas though – so here is our take on Thai Chicken Pizza. It is a household favorite – and is our recipe! You will find a few recipes on this site that we have completely made our own – but usually Mike is the creator, as I am best at following recipes. This is one of my favorites!
Thai Chicken Pizza
Thai Style Peanut Sauce with Honey
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves of garlic – minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (optional)
Thai Chicken Pizza
- 1 12 inch pizza shell. (I use Weisenberger Pizza Crust Mix and the carb information is based on mix)
- Thai style peanut sauce
- 1 carrot – shredded
- 1 small can crushed pineapple
- 3 – 4 chicken tenders
- 2/3 cup mozzarella cheese
- fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
Thai Style Peanut Sauce
- Stir together all the ingredients above in a small bowl
- Set aside
Thai Chicken Pizza
- Marinate chicken tenders in 1 Tablespoon of Thai Peanut Sauce, 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil and 1 teaspoon of kosher salt. Let marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Make pizza crust as directed – Weisenbergers is best to make 2 – 3 hours prior to use.
- Heat ungreased skillet to medium high. Cook chicken tenders 3 minutes per side.
- Remove from skillet and dice – they do not have to be cooked completely.
- Heat oven to 425
- Spread peanut sauce over crust – holding a little back for drizzle.
- Mix 1 Tablespoon of Hoisin Sauce in the remaining peanut sauce to create drizzle.
- Spread Chicken over the pizza.
- Mix the carrots and crushed pineapple together. Spread those over the pizza
- Top with mozzarella cheese
- Drizzle peanut/hoisin sauce on top of the pizza.
- Back for 12- 15 minutes or until crust is crisp.
- With 5 minutes left in the cooking time – add chopped fresh basil to the pizza.
Nutritional Information – pizza – 217 carbs , 1 slice (1/8) – 27 g carbs
A nice summer grilled dinner is one of our favorites and Bar B Que chicken is a wonderful mix. We found a great idea for a BBQ chicken grilled wrap from Recipes for Healthy Living that has become a staple this summer – especially with our baked sweet potato fries. To keep it low carb friendly, I spent time finding the best BBQ sauce. For us it was Marks’ Feed Store Sauce, a local restaurant. Their sauces have only 7 g carbs for 2 Tbsp. You can also search for a new favorite sauce at your local grocery! Hope you enjoy!
Grilled Chicken Wraps
- 1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 small onion
- 1/4 cup low sugar BBQ sauce
- package of Mission Carb Balance Tortillas
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- Preheat grill, or stove top grill
- Remove visible fat from the chicken and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice the onion in rings
- Place the chicken and onion slices on the grill. Cook for 5 minutes. Turn chicken and onions over and grill 3 minutes.
- Spoon BBQ sauce over chicken and onions and grill another couple minutes till chicken is 165 degrees. Transfer to a plate and cut the chicken into small bite size pieces.
- Meanwhile, wrap the 8 tortillas in aluminum foil and add to the grill for 3 minutes to warm.
- Fill each tortilla with chicken and onions. Serve with lettuce, tomatoes, and a little extra sauce if desired.
Nutritional Information – 1 serving (2 wraps) – 52 g carbs (based upon the tortillas and sauce listed above)