I found this recipe a while back and finally got around to trying them. Everyone loved them and what was even better was being able to tell Ellen they were ZERO carbs. These little gems work for Ellen and her lower carb life, but they are also gluten free, paleo and Whole 30. So, they would make many of you out there love this simple pick up snack. We made them for lunch during the UL/Duke game and they were perfect for eating sitting around while watching the game. We will definitely make them again and may even make some ahead to freeze for an easy after school snack.
Chicken and Zucchini Poppers
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 cups grated zucchini (leave peel on)
- 2 – 3 green onions, sliced
- 3 – 4 Tablespoons parsley or cilantro, minced (you may choose which additional flavor you would like to add. I chose parsley)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- olive oil for cooking (or coconut or avocado oil)
- Grate the zucchini and place into a bowl. Do not dry out any of the natural water from the zucchini.
- Toss with the green onions, parsley or cilantro, garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Add in the ground chicken and mix well. Mixture will be quite wet in touch and appearance.
- Make into poppers or meatballs.
- Drizzle a bit of olive oil on a baking sheet.
- Place the meatballs onto the prepared baking sheet and drizzle a bit of additional olive oil over top of the meatballs.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 – 25 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Place under a broiler for an additional 2 – 3 minutes or until browned on top.
- Serve with guacamole, salsa, ranch, or your favorite dip.
Nutritional Information: Poppers are 0 carbs. You would have to add in any carbs from dipping sauce of your choice. We used salsa so that it stayed at 0 carbs.