Homemade lasagna is one of my favorites! I took a recipe a few years back and changed a few things making it our own. It is a wonderful recipe. For a pasta dish, homemade lasagna is not extremely high carb, primarily because you control the sauce that is used. So, when you are craving that pasta meal, give this version a try.
- Full batch of The Best Marinara Sauce (recipe found here)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb Italian sausage
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
- 16 slices of smoked provolone cheese
- 16 slices of mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Make the marinara sauce and let it simmer on the stovetop.
- Brown the pound of ground beef and drain.
- Place the ground beef into the marinara sauce and continue to simmer.
- Brown the half pound of Italian sausage, drain, and add to the sauce.
- Cook the lasagna noodles until just al dente.
- While the noodles are cooking, mix together the ricotta cheese, egg, and dried parsley
- Once the noodles are ready, drain and you can start to layer the lasagna.
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with canola spray and place just enough meat sauce mixture to thinly cover the bottom of the dish.
- Lay lasagna noodles over the sauce
- Spread 1/2 of the ricotta cheese mixture over the noodles
- Place about 10 slices of provolone cheese so that they cover the ricotta mixture.
- Spread 1/2 of the remaining sauce over the provolone cheese.
- Lay another layer of lasagna noodles
- Spread remaining ricotta mixture over the nooodles.
- Place about 10 slices of mozzarella cheese so that they cover the ricotta mixture.
- Spread remaining sauce over the mozzarella cheese.
- Add final layer of lasagna noodles
- Cover the noodles with remaining provolone and mozzarella slices.
- Spray aluminum foil with cooking spray and cover the lasagna. This will keep the foil from sticking.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes
- Remove the foil and continue to bake another 25 minutes
- Broil for about 2 – 4 minutes if needed to brown the cheese on top.
- Let the lasagna sit out of the oven about 15 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Information: 1 serving (1/8 of recipe) is 30 g carbs