We love Asian food and have our favorite places to go out to eat. However, sometimes it is much easier on the carb counting to prepare it yourself and control the rice portions. So we have also found a few favorite recipes to make at home and Bourbon Chicken is one that I found and just slightly adjusted to fit our tastes and needs. We love this served over jasmine rice with stir fried green beans on the side.
- 1 1/2 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 2 Tablespoons cup sesame oil
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 -6 of green onions cut into pieces
- In a bowl combine soy sauce, oils, vinegar, bourbon, and brown sugar blend. Whisk well.
- Add ginger and garlic and whisk again.
- Cut the chicken thighs into bite size pieces.
- Place chicken pieces in a prepared 9×13 baking dish.
- Pour sauce over the chicken and throw in 1/2 of the green onions
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. You can do this the night before and marinate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Remove chicken from the refrigerator while the oven preheats.
- Uncover the chicken and bake directly in the marinade for 45 minutes.
- After 20 minutes pull the chicken out and flip the pieces over and baste. Continue baking to complete the 45 minute cooking time.
- Set the oven to broil and cook an additional 5 – 10 minutes. You are simply adding a crispy finish to the chicken.
- Serve over rice of your choice (I use jasmine) and sprinkle remaining green onions evenly over the plates.
Nutritional Information – 0 carbs in the marinade and chicken. Simply add carbs for the serving of rice you choose. For jasmine rice – 3/4 cup prepared rice is 36 g carbs.