Who doesn’t love pizza? We all know that pizza is a challenge on your blood sugar, and yes we all still eat it some too. But these calzones are a great way to get a pizza taste and have many fewer carbs. Plus if your family has different toppings they like and dislike, each calzone can be made to order. Sounds like a perfect pizza night to me.
- 16 whole frozen, unrisen yeast dinner rolls (I use Rhodes)
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tablespoons dried parsley
- toppings you desire – pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, garlic, banana peppers…
- 1 – 2 egg whites for wash
- Spray a glass 9×13 pan with cooking spray. Set frozen rolls in the pan spread apart. Spray plastic wrap with cooking spray and cover the pan. Let sit for 2 – 3 hours to rise.
- In a bowl combine the ricotta, mozzarella cheese and parsley.
- Prepare any toppings. We cook the sausage with Italian seasoning. Saute the mushrooms with garlic and butter.
- Once the rolls are ready, make each calzone 1 at a time.
- Spread the roll as flat as possible. Put some of the ricotta mixture in the middle.
- Add any other topping desired.
- Fold it closed and press the edges down with a fork to seal.
- Place on a prepared pizza stone.
- Repeat with the rest of the rolls.
- Once all of the calzones are made brush each one with the egg white wash.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 12 – 15 minutes- or until golden brown.
- Serve with Marinara.
Nutritional Information – Serving size is 2 calzones. Each calzone is 19 carbs, so 2 is just 38 carbs.