One of our favorite restaurants in a locally owned Cuban restaurant. We seldom make Cuban or Mexican food at home as it is just so easy to go and pick up. However, we have found a couple favorite meals which we do create at home. Black beans are a great side for these dinners – a nice complex carb rich in fiber. We found a recipe at All Recipes that Mike was able to make his own. The girls have enjoyed them by themselves or served over white rice. Enjoy…
Best Black Beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans (I found the organic Black Beans are 19 carbs for 1/2 cup)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/4 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon tabassco
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In medium saucepan combine, beans, onion, green pepper, and garlic and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a medium-low. Season with cilantro, cayenne, tabassco, and salt. Simmer for about 45 – 60 minutes.