We love pasta in our house and this is not a low carb item. I have found a great pasta (see products section) and we still have our favorite Italian dishes. Now, who doesn’t love garlic bread with your Italian dinner. I decided this was the easier place to cut the carbs for our dinner, so I began looking for other options. We love our cauliflower breadsticks but also wanted some other options. So I started my search and found these fabulous breadsticks from Cut The Wheat. Everyone loved them and they went great with our Italian dinner. The original recipe is on the Cut The Wheat site, but I made a couple tweaks the second time I made them which made them crispier. If you like a crispier breadstick use the recipe below. Hope you will love them too.
Cheesy Garlic Bread
Ingredients (for bread base)
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 Tbsp coconut flour
- 3 egg whites, beaten until fluffy
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tsp live yeast granules
- 1 tsp swerve granular sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
Ingredients (for topping)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 – 1 tsp garlic powder (to taste)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, salt, baking powder, garlic powder and xanthum gum. Stir well
- In a small cup or bowl combine warm water and swerve and stir until dissolved. Then add yeast. Set aside for a few moments and stir occasionally to help dissolve yeast.
- To the flour mixture, add olive oil and yeast water mixture and stir well. It will be sticky – so a rubber spatula could help. Add in beaten eggs and continue to mix.
- Add in the 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and mix gently until a nice dough is formed and cheese is mixed throughout.
- Grease a large cookie sheet. Put the batter on the sheet. Loosely form into a rectangle. I like it about 1/4 inch thick to help crispiness. The thicker you spread it the softer the end result.
- Bake at 400 degrees for approximately 15 – 17 minutes or until the sides of the crust turn a golden brown. Remove from the oven and add toppings.
- In a tiny bowl, combine butter and garlic powder. Mix well, then brush over the top of the garlic base. Be sure to get the butter over every inch.
- Top the bread with the shredded mozzarella cheese, then sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes or until cheese in melted. For the final 3 minute, turn broiler on to brown cheese. Watch during the broiling process and pull out when ready.
- Let brad stand for 5 – 10 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Information: (entire recipe – 1750 calories, 40 g carbs, 20 g fiber, 160 g fat, 80 g protein)
- cut into 16 breadsticks – each stick has 109 calories, 2.5 g carbs, 1.25 g fiber, 10 g fat, 5 g protein